BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, February 27, 2009

Championship Game

Hey dad you missed a great game tonight..... Well Wednesday night after church Aaron, Tobi, and I headed to Polar Ice to play in my Championship game for the men's hockey league that I'm playing in... On the way to the ice we passed a GVEA truck parked on the side on the road and there was a guy with a long pole messing with the power line... We didn't think much of it at the time.. But when we got to Polar Ice all the parking lot lights were off and then I noticed that everybody was leaving... So I ran inside to see what was going on.. The lights were off inside the building too... Some guy who was leaving told me that the power had gone out right in the middle of the game before mine so they were moving that game and the one I was playing in to the next day...

Tonight the power was working so we got to play... It was the closest game I ever played in.. We scored the first goal about midway through the first period and then just a couple of seconds later they tied it up... It was a really fast paced first period.. We went into the second tied up at 1-1.. Everybody was pretty tired out in the second.. A couple of minutes into the second we went ahead again with a slap shot just over the blue line... Then halfway through the second I got a break-away.. I was coming up the left side and there was only one d-man between me and the goalie.. I did a pretty nifty deke (: on him and he fell for it... So I was able to get around the d-man.. (to be honest I don't know really what kind of move I put on to get around him, it just happened and I got lucky) So ya it was just me and the goalie!!! lol I went for a back hand and ping!! It hit the post! Boy what a bummer... After the next face off the other team took the puck down and scored to tie the game up at 2-2... I got in a little trouble at the end of the second period when the puck got shot down to the other teams goalie... It made it to the goalie put he didn't cover it up and I was skating down hard after the puck.. So just before I got to it the goalie covered it up and I had to put on the brakes.. So I ended up spraying him pretty good... He slashed me alittle and then the ruff came over and told me if I did that again I was going to get kicked out... I was like ya that was a bit stupid... I didn't really mean to spray him... Oh well..

After the second they zambed the Ice so we got a little breather... At the start if the third period it got alittle more intense... It was back and force hockey for the first twelve minutes, with nether team scoring... But then Jason a guy I know from work put the puck into the back of the net to put the other team up by one... A little later I was just finishing a shift and was headed off the ice when my team tied it up with six minutes left in the game.. I had my back to the play so I didn't get to see how it went in... Nothing else exciting happened as the last minutes of the game ticked down and sent us into OVERTIME!!! I was on the bench for the first three minutes of the overtime... There was alot of back and forth hockey with nether team really getting any scoring chances... I was rested up pretty good by the time I was able to get on the ice... The last two minutes of OT we had the puck in there zone most of the time and got a couple of scoring chances... I got a centering pass with about twenty second left and had about six inches of open net to the goalies right side.. I totally botched the shot and it went wide... I couldn't believe it WHY!! WHY ME!!
Well the buzzer blew ofter the last twenty seconds ticked off.. To my surprise they let it go to a shoot out!!! YA NO JOKE A SHOOTOUT!!!

I was even more surprised when my team rep said I was one of the five who would do the shootout.. The other team got to go first.. The player came down and didn't really do much but shoot the puck.. Our goalie want down and did a nice pad save... The best player on our team went first and he did a nice little deke and scored... Nate a player I got to play with last year went next for the other team... He came down and did A little deke and backhanded the puck top shelf into the net... I was sitting there thinking about what I was going to do when some one hit me and said Jordan your next... ME?? I didn't really have time to think... As I made my way to the puck I decided to come in in the goalie's left and fake a shot and then drive to his right and do a back hand... I had been practicing that move all week.. Well I started skating down and faked the shot and as I went for the backhand I lost control of the puck, so I didn't get much on my backhand... The goalie did an easy kick save.. And ya there went my second chance to be the hero... ): The next four players were stopped by the goalies... The shootout was tied 1-1 with just one shooter left on each team... The last shooter for the other team was Jason and he just came down and buried the puck in the back of the net... Our last shooter was a d-man who had a good slap shot, so he came down ripped off a slap shot for the five hole... The five hole was open but the puck was just a bit to high and the goalie got a pad on it and stopped the puck... So ya we ended up losing... ): But it was such a fun game that we didn't really care that we lost... Oh Well you win some and you loss some... (: I'm just glad after this loser of a season that we made it that far...

In the end I ended up with something better then winning... Before the game they gave out little tickets for a drawing for different prizes after the game... Last year I won a new pair of hockey gloves... Well this year I won a coupon for half off of next years registration for men's hockey... Its worth three hundred dollars... So ya I was happy... Looks like I'll be playing again next year.. (:

2 comments:

neverletmeforget said...

aw man...and dad was just thinking you were a hero....mom read it outloud to us all and we were expecting this huge build up in the end and an exciting win! but it's ok....maybe next year....=o)

Aaroneous said...

Great game Jordan, I don't care if you didn't win. between tobi's commentary on the game and just watching you play it was pretty fun. Oh also there was a little kid that was there who's family I know. He came up to Tobi and I and named both teams. the other team had teal jerseys on so they were the blueberries and your team (orange) for who knows what reason he named the "subway sandwiches." He wanted to cheer for the other team and tobi and I tried to convert him but so in the end he yelled for both teams.

I'm looking forward to going to the nooks game tonight.